top of page

Match Report Gala 21 v Biggar 24

Gala welcomed Biggar to Netherdale for the fourth Round of the Tennents National 1 League, on what turned out to be a beautiful Autumn afternoon despite a week of heavy rain.

Following an early Gala lineout Ross Cooke made some space in midfield and seeing space in the far corner kicked for Gala’s other winger , Simon Fairburn, who managed to beat the Biggar defence to the touchdown. This was after just two minutes of the match. The conversion was unsuccessful.

A period of sustained Gala pressure followed with a number of penalties awarded two of which were attempted with one successfully converted after 8 mins taking the score to 8 – 0.

Despite further sustained pressure Gala were unable to increase their lead and it was not until the second quarter of the match before Biggar gained some possession and scored a try on 29 mins. It was not converted taking the score to 8 – 5.

Further pressure from Biggar resulted in a try by their captain Euan Sanderson following a penalty against Gala. With the try remaining unconverted this took the score to 8 – 10.

However Gala responded with pressure of their own and following another penalty took the score to 11 – 10 at Half Time.

Following the restart Biggar scored a breakaway try through their No 6 Chris Mulligan, which was converted taking the score to 11 – 17. Gala continued to pressure Biggar and were awarded a further penalty which was again converted by Dean Keddie taking the score to 14-17.

Gala continued to find it difficult to break through against Biggar but were finally successful after sustained pressure with Simon Fairburn scoring again with the try converted by Dean Keddie, taking the score to 21 – 17.

Biggar responded and following a lineout drive near the Gala line scored a try which was converted taking the score to 21-24 after 72 mins.

Gala responded with intense pressure on the Biggar line and despite the award of three successive penalties against Biggar and a yellow card they could not cross the line. The last play of the game with Struan Mitchell attempting to cross in the corner resulted in a head injury to the player and a prolonged period of treatment. Both this incident and the inability to win the game left the players and supporters deflated after what had been a good game of rugby and despite the loss an improvement in form by the Maroons.

Final Score 21 – 24

81 views0 comments


bottom of page