top of page

Match Report Gala 23 Kelso 15

Both teams faced up on a drizzly, dull day. This was a game that both clubs needed to win after their poor starts to the season.

Gala fielded a less than full side due to injuries, illness and the team captain’s wedding. Still we will let Euan off this week and wish him the best of luck for his wedding day and the future.

The game started with Gala maintaining most of the possession and after 8 minutes were awarded a penalty which was successfully converted by the winger Ross Cooke.

The game had started up again with Gala maintaining the momentum and following a turn over by Gala on their own 10 metre line the ball was slipped to Andrew Mitchell, the Gala centre who ran the length of the Kelso half avoiding tackles to score in the corner.

Three minutes later following a burst by the full back, Ruairi Howarth of Gala he passed out to Ross Cooke who touched down in the corner on the opposite side of the pitch. Again the conversion attempt failed but took the score to Gala 13 Kelso 0.

Kelso got points on the board after 24 minutes when their fly half converted a penalty to make the score 13 - 3.

The first half continued for a rather dull 16 minutes with a lot of handling errors by both teams. We accept that the ball was slippy due to the drizzle.

In the second half at the beginning Gala were again the stronger side and after 14 minutes following a rolling maul just outside the Kelso 5 meter line the ball was slipped to the Gala flanker, Liam Scott who after fighting the defence scored under the posts. Ross Cooke’s conversion was successful and took the score to Gala 20 Kelso 3.

Kelso were not to be outdone and after a spirited fight back Kelso substitute Aaron Jackson broke a tackle on the Gala 22 metre line and ran through to score for Kelso. After 64 minutes the score stood at Gala 20 Kelso 8.

8 minutes later Gala were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which was converted by Ross Cooke.

The game was still not over when, in the last minute, the Kelso number 7 forced himself through to score by the posts. This was converted by Murray Hastie taking the final score to GALA 23. KELSO 15.

This was not the most entertaining game seen at Netherdale with too many handling errors, poor passing and missed tackles on both sides but Gala will be happy to have secured the points.

Next time out Gala will play Heriots at Goldenacre followed by Watsonians at Netherdale and a return by Kelso on 26th October to play Gala in a Scottish Cup tie, again at Netherdale.

50 views0 comments


bottom of page