top of page

Match Report Dundee HSFP 10 Gala 36

The team set off in the bus to Dundee at 0945 on Saturday, a few half shut eyes but the players feeling positive.

It was a drizzly drive up with a stop for food about 1115. We arrived at Dundee High School sports field at 1230 for the lads to get changed and warmed up for the 2.00 pm start.

Dundee kicked off and the Gala backs were soon on an attack which resulted in a penalty on the Dundee 22 metre line. This was converted by the Gala winger Ross Cooke starting the scoring off with Dundee 0 Gala 3.

There followed heavy Gala pressure for the next 10 minutes well defended by the Dundee team. This created a defensive kick to touch by the Dundee centre. This reached the 22 metre line and resulted in a quick throw in to Ross Cooke who darted through the Dundee defence to score in the corner.

He converted his own try to take the score after 12 minutes to Dundee 0 Gala 10.

Despite Gala attacking for the next period it was countered by Dundee and there was no change in the score line until 30 minutes into the first period when Gala were awarded a free kick at the line out mid way into the Dundee half. This was taken by Lachlan Johnston at scrum half who spread the ball across the backs ending up with Fergus Johnston who scored in the corner. This was converted by Ross Cooke to take the score to Dundee 0 Gala 17.

Six minutes later after a defensive kick from Dundee which went straight into touch. Following the resultant lineout scrum half Lachlan Johnston again opened out the Gala backs, the ball was received by Daniel Nicholson who straightened up and ran through the defence to score under the posts. Again Ross Cooke came up trumps with another successful conversion taking the score to Dundee 0 Gala 24.

As the first half was ending Dundee were awarded a penalty which was taken to touch deep into the Gala territory. A good passing move followed which reached the Dundee winger Rhuaridh Hood who touched down over the line. This was converted by the Dundee fly half Paul Kerr.

Half time Dundee 7 Gala 24.

With the mist rolling in off the Tay on a cold wet afternoon Gala kicked off to start the second half.

Dundee showed a great deal more fight and although they retained possession well Gala had a very successful defence until after twenty minutes of this final period Gala conceded a penalty in front of the posts. This was converted by Dundee fly half Paul Kerr taking the score to Dundee 10 Gala 24.

Five minutes later Gala were awarded a penalty on the half way line. This was taken by the Gala replacement 10, Dean Keddie, who kicked deep to touch in the Dundee half. Gala took their own ball and formed a successful rolling mall which advanced on to the Dundee line before being picked up and passed through many hands before reaching winger Fergus Johnston who scored in the corner. His second try of the day and sixth in the last three games. This was not converted and the score was Dundee 10 Gala 29.

To close the game 4 minutes into injury time and following a Gala scrum on the Dundee 5 metre line the ball was collected by Richie Tod who fought his way over the line for a final try. Ross Cooke converted taking the Final Score to Dundee 10 Gala 36.

Another bonus point win to Gala who move up to fifth in National League 1. Next week Gala will welcome their neighbours and rivals, Melrose, to Netherdale which it is hoped will be a tough, hard game in which both teams are keen for the points.

Come along and join in the enjoyment of the day.

Bob Sneddon

76 views0 comments


bottom of page